We are happy to announce that The Summit is now open with modified operations that will be reevaluated and assessed every 30 days. Please be on the look out for more information and updates in the coming weeks. We know how important this facility is to our members, and staff is working hard to ensure that it is a safe environment for everyone. Fitness equipment has been repositioned throughout the facility to accommodate social distancing recommendations. Masks will be recommended when not actively exercising, and reservations will be required for lap swimming. All reservations can be made by calling 972-237-4141 or in person. For additional information, read below in the “Re-Opening” section.
THE SUMMIT 50+ CLUB IS NOW OPEN
Effective Wednesday, March 10, masks will be highly recommended but not required to enter City of Grand Prairie facilities. However, for your safety, city staff will continue to follow recommended health protocols, including wearing masks. All other current modifications to the operations at individual facilities will remain in effect until further notice.
Starting June 1st
- New members will be allowed to join, both residents and non-residents.
- Day passes will not be available, only monthly/annual memberships for now.
- The 2:00 p.m. -4:00 p.m. closure time will be reduced to 1 hour 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Movies will return in the Wings theater at a 50% capacity. Movies will be start at 6:00 p.m. on Fridays and 12:00 p.m. on Saturdays. Tickets for the movie will be given out at the Front Desk 30 minutes before the movie starts. Concessions will be sold and food/drink must stay in the Theater. Movies are free with Active Memberships, no day passes for movies currently.
All other amenities and features of the Summit will be reevaluated and assessed every 30 days. Please be on the look out for more information and updates in the coming weeks.
Monday -Friday: 6:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. & 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.*
*closed from 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. for deep cleaning.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- All active and non-active members are now welcomed to join/rejoin.
- Not accepting new members during this phase.
- No day passed during this phase.
- All members will enter and exit from the front door.
- North door (Athletic door) will be closed.
- Fitness Floor
- Walking Track
- Natatorium (lap lanes by reservation only). Showers + Locker Rooms
- Personal Training
- Swim Lessons
NEW as of May 1 –
Volleyball – Monday / Wednesday 4pm-close; 24 people max on court
Basketball – Tuesday 4pm- close; 24 people max on court
Pickleball – Open to 2pm Monday – Saturday; 4pm- close Thursday/Friday; All 3 courts open, 24 people max
Personal Training – Trainers will be back in May. Pricing structure will be the same as before, $100 for 3 sessions, $180 for 6, $250 for 10. Please get in contact with trainer before making payment at the front desk. Call front desk 972-237-4141 for more information.
Massage – Starting in May, $35 for 30 minutes, $65 for 60 minute package and other massage treatments available. Please get in contact with massage therapist before making payment at the front desk. Call front desk 972-237-4141 for more information.
Swim Lessons – Private lessons taught in swim lanes. $50 for four 30 minute lessons. Please call Gisselle Ruvalcaba for more information 972-237-4169.
Members can make reservations for lap lane swim at the Fitness Desk or call 972-237-4150
- 30-minute back-to-back time slots. (Exceptions – 6:15-7 a.m. & 4:15-5 p.m.)
- One may double book to reserve for the entire hour.
- 3 lap lanes (Lane 1 closest to pump room).
- 2 person per lane (upon request).
- Time starts at the top of the hour or the :30-minute mark and must get out on the hour mark.
- 10-minute grace period and no extension on time.
- If lanes are open its first come first serve.
- Must be actively moving (walking or swimming).
- Rest of the pool, vortex, spa is open and available, just a reduced capacity for each area.
- Reserve 2 days in advance (Friday for Monday, Sat for Tuesday).
- A person can reserve space for themselves and one other or double book for themselves.
Will continue as a delivery & drive through program.
- Pottery – Open Monday through Friday from 4:00 p.m. – 7:45 p.m. & Tuesday/Thursday hours are open to 15 minutes before closure (open-1:45 p.m. & 4:00 p.m. -7:45 p.m.)
- Crotchet – Monday / Wednesday 12 p.m. -2 p.m. in the Wings Theater.
- Jewelry – Open Friday from 6:00 a.m. – 1:45 p.m.
- Art room capacity will be maximum of 16 people.
Billiards/Shuffleboard room will be open at a limited capacity and designated hours.
- Billiards – Open Monday – Friday from 6:00 a.m. – 1:45 p.m. and Monday/Thursday/Friday from 4:00 p.m. – 7:45 p.m.; Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 1:45 p.m.
- Shuffleboard – Open Tuesday/Wednesday from 4:00 p.m. – 7:45 p.m.
- Game room capacity will be maximum of 16 people.
Ping pong table will be set up in the Aerobics Room and will be open during business hours (Monday -Friday 6:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m.– 1:45 p.m., 4:00 p.m. – 7:45 p.m. and Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 1:45 p.m.)
- Paddles and balls will be available for check out at the Athletic desk.
- Aerobics room will be maximum of 8 people.
- Gift shop will be open during business hours (Monday – Friday 6:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. and Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.) as long as its staffed by Gift Shop volunteers.
- Gift Shop capacity will be maximum of 4 people.
Starting May 1 we will start booking rentals. Rental hours are Saturdays between 3pm-11pm only. Call Michelle Morin for more information 972-237-4147.
- All members will be temperature checked upon arrival.
- Masks will be highly recommended if not swimming or actively exercising.
- Staff will be continually cleaning and disinfecting equipment.
- Sanitizing stations will be prominently placed throughout the facility.
- Members will enter and exit in separate locations. (One way in, One way Out)
- There will be a 2 hour closure M-F between 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. for facility sanitization.
ABOUT THE FACILITY
The Grand Prairie Parks and Recreation Department opened the doors to the newest addition to the city, The Summit, on June 18, 2010. The $23 million dollar, 60,000 square foot facility located in Central Park is designed specifically for active adults ages 50 and older.
With state-of-the art fitness areas, gym, indoor infinity edge pool with lap lanes & exercise vortex, theater, locker rooms with sauna and more, this will be the talk of Texas for years to come!
“The 50 plus generation migrate to places that have amenities. The Summit will help Grand Prairie enhance its tax base.”Dr. John CromptonDistinguished Professor on Parks, Recreation and Tourism Texas A&M University
“The facility evokes a WOW reaction! Bravo!”Dr. John CollinsProfessor of Recreation and Leisure Studies, University of North Texas
“The Summit is an amazing facility which will be a model for cities across America.”Phil T. HesterChairman of the NRPA Gold Medal Awards & Director of Parks, Recreation and Marine Long Beach, California
“Abraham Lincoln is reported to have said, 'It's not the years in your life but the life in your years.' And just think The Summit empowers the 50+ residents of Grand Prairie to have both. It's just about as 'grand' as it gets.”Dr. Ellen O'SullivanPh.D., Certified Parks and Recreation Professional President of Leisure Lifestyle Consulting
*Some amenities will be unavailable as The Summit 50+ Club re-opens. Please see information above to view current available amenities.
Terrace Café • 100-Seat Movie Theater • Scores Billiards & Card Playing Room • Gift Shop
Social Sitting Area • Reading Room • Enrichment Classrooms
Outdoor Covered Patio Overlooking the Lake with Fireplace • Outdoor Games
Performance Stage, Banquet & Dining Rooms with Full Catering Kitchen*
Cardio & Strength Fitness Area • Group Exercise Room • Massage Room
Indoor Walking Track Overlooking the Lake & Grand Central Park
Gymnasium for Pickleball, Basketball, Volleyball and Fitness
Heated Indoor Pool with Hydro-Jets, Exercise Equipment, Lap Lanes & Resistance Vortex
25-Person Hot Tub Spa • Outdoor Sunning Patio • Locker Rooms • Saunas
*Catering Kitchen only accessible to professional catering businesses.
No Events on The List at This Time
Purchase a membership today in-person at The Summit. Memberships make a great gift, too! Purchase one for yourself, a family member or a friend.
|Ages 65 & up||$55/year|
|Ages 65 & up||$205/year|
Member Fee Scholarships
The City of Grand Prairie provides scholarships for part or all of the membership fees for those residents of Grand Prairie who are in need of financial support. This facility is dedicated to Grand Prairie residents who are 50 years and over and is committed to assure that each and every one has the ability to enjoy The Summit.
The Summit offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities from working at the front desk, to greeting members, food service, giving tours of the facility, picking up members in our golf carts and teaching new skills and trades to others. Please ask our staff about all the exciting details on how to become a volunteer at The Summit.